<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 14, 2004

Ugly Cars 

I don't know about you, but I'm noticing a proliferation of ugly cars on the road. I'm all for people "expressing their individuality" (although buying a car really isn't the best way to do that), but are these people even looking at what they're buying? I'm really not that much of a car guy - to me, they're a way to get from here to there, and that's about it. BUT, other people do have to look at your cars, and I assume other people who are car-oriented do care what the general public thinks. Different can be good, but ugly is not.

As far as I know, the trend started with the RAV4 - this is the first car that I recall actually thinking, "Man, that's an ugly car." Here's a decent example of one:



Now, I don't think it's hideous, just ugly. Boxy and weird. But the following two cars blow the RAV4 out of the water. And I see them EVERYWHERE.

First, the Honda Element:



I think the thing that annoys me the most about this car is the 90 degree angle at the back. I can't imagine that it allows the driver to store any more crap, unless they're storing perfectly shaped boxes.

Second, the Pontiac Aztec:



I mean, really, what is that thing? Is it a bus? Is it a bug? Why so many windows and angles? It almost looks like an Element that melted.

I have to look at your car when you drive it. You don't. Please be more considerate, people.



Comments:
Posted 05/16/2004 11:13 PM EDT by Dave Shear ( : )

I agree - there are many ugly vehicles out there these days. As for the Aztec, I believe its slogan is something like, "Quite possible the world's most versatile vehicle", whereas most people agree it should instead be "quite possibly the world's ugliest vehicle". Astonishingly, its sales are rather poor. Who in the world wouldn't be surprised by that, other than some obscenely overpaid and unqualified executives running Pontiac?

Of course, just in case the Honda Element isn't boxy enough for you, you can always get a Scion xB. That thing makes the Element look like a Ferrari Maranello. (http://www.scion.com/drive/gallery/drive_xb_gallery.html)

Some other cars that bother me: pimped out honda civics/accords/(acura) integras, Chevy Avalanche, Plymouth Prowler.
 
Posted 05/18/2004 10:42 AM EDT by k ( : )

pimped out rides are just silly to look at. they don't really bother me. what DOES bother me is when someone takes a nissan spoiler and puts it on the back of their civic - it looks atrocious!
 
Posted 05/18/2004 12:34 PM EDT by lil bro^3 ( : )

i've seen the elements around. i know some people who own one. they claim the roomy interior is very nice and the ability to hose down the floor of your car makes the car worthwhile. despite all this utility, the plastic used on the exterior of the car not only makes it ugly but gives the impression that any suv could make scrap metal (or plastic) of it.

actually, i wouldn't mind buying one if it didn't look so unattractive.

i'm surprised you didn't mention the god-forbidden rice rockets. then again, you don't live in california.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?