<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Escalation Velocitation 

So, when you're driving on a highway, and then you get off onto surface streets, and you tend to go really fast because otherwise it seems like you're just going too damn slow, the word they've made up for that is "velocitation". Sounds pretty formal. I had an experience today that I've had many times before, but it made me think a bit. I experienced "Escalation Velocitation". I was exiting the Metro, and approached the escalator. As I approached the escalator, it was very clear to me that it was off. It wasn't moving. This was obvious to even my primitive monkey brain. Nevertheless, as I stepped onto the escalator, it felt to me that I was moving backwards - similar to what happens when you get OFF an escalator - your body starts moving slower than expected. But I KNEW the escalator wasn't moving. I KNEW I wasn't going to be carried by the escalator. Nevertheless, some part of my consciousness wasn't paying attention, because that part of me expected to be propelled forward, and was a bit shocked when I wasn't. Apparently that part of me didn't get the memo.

This disturbs me. Escalators are not natural. It means that I have taken so many escalators in my life that it is now ingrained in my being to expect to move faster when I approach something that looks like an escalator even if I know it's not moving. It's like I've developed a new instinct. One that's completely useless. I know it's not that reasonable, but I'd to have as much control over my body as possible. It bothers me that something completely foreign now owns part of me. Are there other devices that have stolen my soul? If I were to sit in front of a broken TV, would the screen start looking really dim because it wasn't on? If I get in a car that's broken, will I eventually start to feel like I'm going backwards? And can I suppress this escalator instinct, or is it now permanent? If I were to not take an escalator for, say, 15 years, would that be enough to no longer experience this feeling? I demand answers!
Comments:
Hmmm...I find that question you posed very intriguing, that being what would happen to this "instinct" of yours if you didn't ride an escalator for 15 years. Intriguing enough that I'm willing to pay you $20/year for every year that you don't ride an escalator more than once. Why once? So we can do a study and see how you react as your instinct diminishes from year to year. We can video tape it each year, compare your reactions to past years, tape an interview of yourself, make a big production of it, and perhaps even have it become a national holiday, titled "Dave Berman's Escalator Day". Of course we'll have to find a special elevator to do this one...perhaps one in Las Vegas, or we can have somebody build an escalator to nowhere ala the Simpsons. Okay, so I'm not entirely serious on the national holiday bit, but I am on the $20 bit. What do you think?

-Dave Shear
 
You know, I might actually consider that. In the name of science, of course. What else will you pay me to do? Furthermore, how will you verify that I followed the rules? As long as elevators are fine, I don't think I'd have a problem with this.
 
Well, as far as verifying that you don't actually ride any escalators, I'll just have to take your word for it...and perhaps do a little snooping around too, asking your friends (like Sam) to spy on you for me. Yes, elevators would be okay, as it's a very different feeling.

What else will I pay you to do? I'm not sure...I'll think about it...what else will you LET me pay you to do, and how much will it cost? I belive Dave Wall will do anything at all for $35/hour... :)

-Dave Shear
 
so, i don't know if i've ever experienced the escalator thing. i do understand the premise, as i do feel that way when i pull off of a highway, or when the train is running slowly. but i think your experience with the escalator is a result of not using them as often. every day, i take at least two escalators. and they are broken a lot. maybe i'm just used to it, so i don't notice it. but i'd be up for your lab experiment.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?