<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Hold 'Em 

I think I'm becoming addicted to poker. One of the things that bothers me about this is that everyone else seems to becoming a fan of it too. Usually, a sure sign for me that something isn't that worthwhile is when EVERYONE is doing it. See the Atkins diet for an example. Now, I'm not really a counter-culture guy, but I also don't like to easily buy into the generally accepted mentality. In this case, though, it seems that the growing fascination with poker is completely warranted. In particular, tournament Hold 'Em is fascinating, compelling, challenging, and different every time. I don't think it's a game that you can ever completely figure out. I like the fact that I could learn and continually get better at it for the next 5 years, but that I will win often enough that I won't get frustrated. Maybe 50 million poker fans can't be wrong. But the 50 million Backstreet Boys fans sure were.
Comments:
hold 'em

i feel like this hold 'em fad will pass, like hackeysacks and george bush. that doesn't diminish my capacity to enjoy the game, or my desire to play so often, because i feel like i've applied myself to get better at it. clearly, you don't dive into things just because they are popular (mayo not withstanding).

10 years from now, we'll still remember playing with hackeysacks, and george bush ruining this country, but the public at large will have moved on from poker. so enjoy it now, while you can still find sucke-i mean, players to sit around a table with you to play some games. :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?