<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 02, 2004

Infield Fly Fools 

This actually happened like a month and a half ago, but it's taken me a while to write up. It's long, but hopefully entertaining:

So, as many of you know, I'm an avid softball player. I played baseball all through high school and college, but then the time came where playing baseball frequently just wasn't feasible. Fortunately, softball leagues are quite popular in the DC area, and so once I started working, I joined a couple of leagues. I've been the manager of two teams for probably about 4 years now, and those games are quite often the highlight of my week. It's been enjoyable playing with the same group of guys for a while now, and it's cool to see us improve as a team and have a good time together while we're doing it. The leagues aren't ultra-competitive, but rather a pretty nice mix of skills, with most guys playing hard and trying to win, but not going completely balls out insane. Sometimes that can get frustrating, when we blow a close game because of stupid reasons, but for the most part, it allows everyone to have a good time, and scratch their competitive itch.

With that as a backdrop, let me tell you a story. First, for those of you not familiar with some of the more details rules of softball/baseball, I'll give you a little background, even if you know virtually nothing about the sport. If you are familiar with the rules, then just bear with me, or skip ahead to "STORY STARTS HERE".

Basically, in softball, there are two different types of balls that a batter can hit in play: A fly ball, and a ground ball. Let's take them one at a time. First, the ground ball: When the batter hits a ground ball - one that hits the ground before a fielder catches it, then the fielder has to pick up the ball and throw it to first base before the batter gets there. If the fielder does so, then the batter is out. If the batter gets there before the ball is thrown to the first baseman (standing on first), then he's safe.

Now, what if there's already someone on first base when the batter hits a ground ball? Well, then that person on first has to run to second: They're forced. A fielder that fields the ground ball can throw the ball to second base, and if the ball gets there (well, is caught by a fielder that's standing on the base) before the runner going from first to second does, then the runner is out. Meanwhile, the batter that hit the ground ball is running to first, as he could be out as well (or instead) of the ball is thrown to first base. A double play can occur if there's a runner on first, and a batter hits a ground ball. A fielder gets the ball, throws it to second before the runner gets there, causing the runner from first to second to be out. Then, the fielder on second throws the ball to first, before the batter gets there, causing him to be out as well. Two outs - a double play. Double plays can occur all sorts of ways, but this is the most common way. If there are runners at first and second, then there's a force play at third base as well - the fielder can throw the ball there to get the runner out running from second.

Ok, so that's the deal with ground balls. Now we deal with fly balls - when the ball is hit in the air, and a fielder catches it before it hits the ground. It's pretty simple - in this case, the batter who hit the fly ball is out when the fielder catches it. If it hits the ground before a fielder catches it, then it becomes a ground ball, and the rules above apply. So, what happens to the runners when a fly ball is hit? Well, basically, a runner cannot leave the base he was one until a fly ball is caught. After a fly ball is caught, the runner can run to the next case if he choose to (although he might be thrown out there, but that's a different story.) If the runner has already left the base when the fly ball is caught, he must return to touch the base before proceeding to the next base. (This process is called tagging up.) If, for some reason, the fielder who caught the fly ball throws the ball back to the base that the runner had left from before the runner can get back to that base, then the runner is out. This last line is important, so read it again.

So, once you understand these rules, and you watch enough games, you realize there's more to being a base runner than just running around the bases as fast as possible. In particular, what happens if you're on first and there's a ball that's hit and you're not sure if it's going to be caught on the fly or not? In this case, as a runner, you're kind of screwed. If it's going to hit the ground first, then you better get to second base as fast as possible so that you can try and beat the throw there. But, if it's caught before it hits the ground, then you better get back to first so you don't get thrown out there. Basically, you have to use your best judgment when running. Usually, it's pretty straightforward: Ground balls roll towards the infielders, and you book it to second. Fly balls go up in the air, and if it's a fly ball to the outfield, you usually go about halfway to second base, just in case the outfielder drops the ball and you need to run to second. If it's a fly ball to the infielder, you usually stay closer to the base, because it's pretty easy to throw the ball to first from the infield.

There are a couple of cases that can be really tough on the runner. One is a ball that's hit hard on a line: a line drive. Because, as runner, you usually want to start running once the ball is hit, if the ball is hit on a line right to an infielder, sometimes, if the ball gets there fast enough, the infielder can catch the ball and throw it to first really quickly, before the runner can get back. In this case, the runner's pretty screwed, but it takes a pretty quick infielder to do it. But, what if the infielder decides to be deceptive? Let's say there's a fly ball hit to an infielder. We know that the runner is likely going to stay close to first base, because the infielder could catch the ball and throw it quickly to first if the runner strays too far. However, the infielder can decide to intentionally drop the ball, turning it into a ground ball. If that's the case. the runner's pretty screwed - the infielder can then pick up the ball, throw it to second to force the runner out, and then, they can throw the ball to first, to try and get the batter.

So, they've invented a rule to avoid situations like this in which the infielders can exploit loopholes in the rules: It's called the infield fly rule, frequently cited as one of the things about baseball that's too complicated, but really, it's necessary, and not that tricky. It's explicitly designed to avoid screwing the runners if there's a fly ball to an infielder. So, here's the deal: First, there has to be less than 2 outs in the inning. (Remember, if an infielder exploits a fly ball as described above, he'll get a double play. If there are already two outs, there's no way the infielder can get the double play, since the inning will end at 3 outs.) Second, there has to be either runners on first AND second, or runners on first AND second AND third. If both those conditions are met, and there's a fly ball hit that's easily catchable by an infielder ("easily catchable" is up to the discretion of the umpire), then the infielder fly rule goes into effect. Basically, this means that regardless of if the infielder catches the ball, the batter is out, and it's as if the infielder did catch the ball. This means that the runners aren't forced, so the infielders can get a double play through trickery. However, if you're astute, you'll notice that this rule DOES NOT apply if there is only a runner on first. Why is that? Earlier, I mentioned that even in this case, the infielder could drop the ball, throw to second, and then they could throw the ball to first. Well, that's not really the case, IF the batter is running as soon as he hits the ball, and he always should be. Basically, a fly ball takes a while to get to the infielder. There's no reason that the runner shouldn't be able to get to first base before the ball could be dropped, thrown to second, and then over to first. So, the infield fly rule does not apply in this case. In the other cases I mentioned (runners at 1st and 2nd, or 1st, 2nd, and 3rd), even if the batter is running, clever fielders could still drop the ball and force the runners out at 3rd and 2nd, since they can't start running until the ball hits the ground.) Ok, now that you've gotten all in your head, I can start my enchanted tale:

----------------------- STORY STARTS HERE -----------------------------

Alright, so I play in two recreational softball leagues: One in Virginia, and one in Maryland. In both leagues we play doubleheaders once a week. We've been playing in both leagues for quite a few years now, and they're decently competitive, but also good fun. Basically, everyone tries hard to win, and there are umpires and playoffs and the whole deal, but if you lose, it's usually not that big a deal. People rarely get hurt, and it's unusual that there's a big argument.

About three weeks ago, we had a game in Virginia, and an interesting situation arose: There was a runner on first, with one out. I was playing shortstop. It was the middle of a relatively close game. The batter hit a pop fly to me. I noticed that he wasn't running - he just kinda started strolling towards first. As I settled under the ball, I decided that maybe it would be worth trying to drop it and turn a double play. But my brain had to fight with my instincts to catch the ball, and so as I caught the ball, I let it fall out of my glove. I then threw the ball to second base, to force the runner out, but we weren't able to throw it to first in time to get the batter out, as he started running as soon as I dropped the ball. That's when things got confusing.

At that game, we had the best umpire we have had in a long time. His name was Bob. Usually, umpire quality in these leagues is a crapshoot, but this guy was solid. As soon as he saw the play, he called for a "dead ball". He called that I wasn't allowed to intentionally drop a ball, and as soon as I did, it was as if I had caught it - the batter was out, and the runner who had been forced out at second had to go back to first. I didn't argue, because I actually knew he was right. See, a couple years ago, in a different league, I had tried the same play, and a similar thing happened. When that happened, I actually went and did some research and read the American Softball Association rule book. It basically states that you cannot intentionally drop a ball, but I talked to a couple umpires and there's a distinction between dropping a ball that's in your glove, and just letting a ball drop. The former isn't allowed, but the latter is. I screwed up by not being able to just let the ball drop.

So, ultimately, there was no harm done. A couple of the guys we were playing seemed a bit annoyed, but the guy who was running to second actually told me that I had made a smart play. Myself, when we have guys who don't run out popups, I usually warn them that one time, someone will "drop it and turn two". Generally, it annoys me when people are lazy. It's not the major leagues, but still, there's no reason not to hustle - it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to just do things right.

At any rate, as the umpire set things right, I didn't argue at all, cuz I knew he was right. But, after the inning ended, I went up to him and asked him if I had let the ball hit the ground, then would the play be legit? Well, he told me that, no, it still would have ended up the same way. I told him that I disagreed, having read the rule book a couple years ago. He told me to read it again, and that the next time he saw me (since he umped every week at the same park, if not at the same exact field) we'd talk about it.

Well, the following week, I saw him, but hadn't actually looked over the rule book. He came up to me before the game, and said "Did you do your homework?" I said that I hadn't, but I would the following week. He was very genial about it. So, the next day, I read the book, and it was worded precisely as I said - that a fielder wasn't allowed to intentionally drop a ball, but it said nothing about letting the ball drop without touching it.

So, we're finally at the week during which the story takes place. I get to the field, and we're getting ready to start playing, and Bob the umpire wanders over. (We had a different ump assigned to us that day.) He asks again if I did my homework, and I say that I did, and tell him my findings. Well, he agrees with me, and states that I'm right - if I let the ball drop before turning a double play, then it's ok. I don't really mention that he said this wasn't ok the last time we talked, but whatever. Now we're both on the same page, and it's all cool.

The games start. We're playing a team that we've played many times before. Friendly guys, and the games are usually pretty even with them. The first game we win, but it's pretty close. The second game is a bit closer, but going into the top of the 7th (we only play 7 innings), we're up by about 7 runs. This is by no means a comfortable lead. In fact, the previous night, we had blown a 9 run lead.

I'm playing shortstop again. There's a guy on first base. This really fat, jiggly guys comes to the plate. Now, like I said, we're not professionals, but this guy was fat and immobile enough to make you wonder what he was doing out there. I'm all for people trying their best to play, but this guy was borderline silly. Still, it's his (or rather his team's) choice to have him play, and if he's having a good time, then great. He just shouldn't expect any special treatment.

So, this guy hits a shallow pop fly behind second base, and I get there very easily. This time, though, I take a look at the batter, and he's not really running at all. The guy who was on first base is just a few steps off of first base. I figure that it's worth a shot, and I let the ball drop on the ground, without touching it. It bounces up, and actually almost slips out of my hand, but the runners are both dumbfounded. The guy who was on first has basically stopped running. I throw the ball to second, and they start yelling already about how the play isn't legal. The batter doesn't even try to run, even after I drop the ball, and so after a long pause, the second baseman throws the ball to first to get him out. The umpire initially calls both runners out - a double play.

Well, then all hell breaks loose. The entire dugout of this team goes nuts, yelling about how my play is bullshit, and that it's not fair, and that I should learn the rules, and what the hell was I pulling. I certainly didn't anticipate this, but decide that in this case, discretion is the better part of valor, and I don't say anything - I just stand at shortstop. Well, their coach goes over to the umpire, and starts to explain his version of the rules. All the while, their team is shouting at us from the dugout: "You don't know the rules!", "Both those guys should be safe!", "What kind of a play is that?!". My only rebut to them is a low-key, "I just had this play occur recently and talked to the umpire - I know what the rule is." Of course the reply is, "Go read the rule book! You can't do that!" Ironic, wasn't it?

At any rate, the umpire, after talking to their coach, decides to rule it exactly as the previous umpire did - the batter is out, but the runner goes back to first. Remember, this is the incorrect call - because I let the ball drop, it should be legal to do what I did, and we should have gotten two out. But, that wasn't really the point, and seeing how pissed they already were, I decided to just let it go, rather than protest and raise their ire more. Unfortunately, it seemed their ire had already been raised.

Later on in that inning, the guy who had been on first when I made (or didn't make) that play has made it to second. Doug, the left-centerfielder, and Mike, the pitcher, are giving me a hard time about that play. Doug says something like next time, I need to do a better acting job so they won't think I can catch the ball. I say, "What, should I pretend to trip?" Mike says, "Yeah, fall down or something." Well, the guy on second base has seemingly had enough, and shouts, to no one in particular, "Just shut up and play ball!"

Well, Doug decides that no one in particular is actually particularly himself, and retorts, shouting from the outfield, "Just be quiet and take care of your own team." That mostly ends it for the confrontation during the game, but apparently that was just lighting the pilot light...

The game ends shortly thereafter, as the inning ends and we win. As we always do, we line up to shake their hands, and for the most part, it's going fine. I'm near the front, and basically am apologizing pretty vocally, saying "Sorry about that play. Didn't mean anything by it. Good game.", over and over again. Doug is near the back of the line. One particular guy (who wasn't involved in the play at all), apparently has taken particular offense, and when he gets to Doug, says something like, "It's just a game. You guys don't need to pull that crap." Well, Doug, who really had nothing to do with what occurred, says, pretty rudely, "What? Why are you talking to me?" This guy takes it as an invitation to become more aggressive, and just starts threatening him, eventually saying, "You wanna meet me in the parking lot?" Doug is pretty incredulous, and finally starts to walk away, but by this time, both teams are jawing at each other, as we've both come back onto the field to protect our own. They're shouting at us about how they've played in the league for so long, and that play was bullshit, etc, etc, and we're for the most part, just trying to calm things down, but pretty pissed that it was made into such a big deal. Doug finally goes back into the dugout, but not before waving to the aggressive guy, and snidely says, "Bye-bye." This just makes them more pissed, but they finally retreat as well.

As we're clearing out of the dugout, the other coach (who was probably the most restrained of the bunch) comes over to our dugout. Apparently, Bob, my umpire friend, had completed his duties for the game he was calling, has seen the commotion, and came over to the other dugout to explain the rules to the other team. The other coach had come over to apologize for getting the call wrong, and basically wanted to shake hands and make up. I apologized for us getting a little riled up too, but then he added a line like, "Just make sure to keep control of your players, and I'll keep control of mine." Of course, Doug had to mention that it was his players that had asked to start a fight, but nevertheless, he seemed to part relatively amicable. Operative word there is "seemed"...

Our team heads toward the parking lot, and splits up, everyone heading to their own individual cars. As I'm taking off my cleats, the loudmouth who had requested a confrontation in the parking lot passes by. I give him a little nod, trying to let him know there are no hard feelings. But, as he gets to his car (which is two spots from mine), he starts to let me have it.

"We'll face you guys again!", he growls. I tell him that look, we really meant no harm by it. He then says, "What was that bullshit? Trying to pick a fight. We've been in this league for 30 years, longer than most you guys have been alive. There's no need for that shit." I say, "Trying to pick a fight? Who wanted to meet us out in the parking lot?" In the meantime, Mike Hassan, another team member, is getting in his car, on the other side of Mr. Asshole. I don't quite hear what he says to this guy, but it's something like "Who cares how long you've been in the league?" Well, this guy now gets really angry, and points at him, shouting "You shut up! Get in your car!" I say to him, "Now who's being aggressive and picking fights?" The guy continues to yell at Mike, "Get in your car, pussy!" I shake my head, incredulously, as he starts back to yelling at me, "I wasn't picking fights..." As I climb into my car, having had enough of this absurdity, I mutter, "Yeah, whatever. Let me know when you grow up." I drive away. For all I know, he's still standing there yelling.

Moral of the story? Well, I suppose there are many: Always run to first. Don't humiliate lazy base runners. People who live in Virginia for a long time become crazed rednecks. Oh, and...it's just a game.


Comments:
Sweet merciful crap! And you claim that *I* write a lot....

-Shear

PS - more to come once I actually read the whole thing....
 
imagine how much worse that would have been in you were allowed to drink during the game ;)

seriously, though, next time, trip

-k
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?