<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Unpoetic Justice 

I do try and avoid commenting on sports and politics directly in this blog, and I'll continue to do so. I'm also going to avoid writing this silly disclaimer every time I write anything remotely attached to sports or politics.

At any rate, I watched the Baseball All-Star Game last night and found it quite dull. However, I did enjoy watching Roger Clemens get shelled in the first inning. I've never been a big Clemens fan, but when he left the Yankees, I lost a significant amount of seething hatred for him. I didn't really care if he did well in the All-Star Game because of his personally, but it was nice to see all of the ridiculous hype from before the game backfire.

I probably watch and read more about baseball than most people, but it seemed like since Clemens un-retired (I refuse to call him the "Rocket") and was pitching well, they've been talking about his career "coming full circle", and pitching at home in the All-Star Game in Houston. It's been nonstop about how fantastic a competitor he is, how he really wants to do well for the Houston fans, how amazing his career is, how incredible it is that he's 41 and pitching so well, blah blah blah. I'm trying to stop myself from vomiting right now as I write this. Maybe if it was Cal Ripken I'd feel differently, but we don't even know if this is Clemens' last season. Of course, with Cal, he hit a homer in his last All-Star Game. And he never un-retired. And he was the best ball player to ever exist, included Roy Hobbes.

So, to see Clemens get rocked was very nice. I wonder if all of the reporters had their fawning pieces pre-written, assuming he was going to be lights out, and then had to throw them away. People were writing how awesome it was going to be to see him strike out six Hall of Famers in a row. Well, stow it. The story didn't work out perfectly. That's fine, because it was so manufactured in the first place. But there only part they couldn't artificially create, him actually pitching well in front of 60,000 cloying fans, didn't happen. Fate's a cruel bitch of a master. I guess the Rocket plans backfired. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Not funny, but I don't care.
Comments:
Hey! More pictures of Dan are available in "Las Vegas 2004" in my online photo album. I'm sure he wants you to see the pictures of the Viper...
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?