<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Post-Debate Spin 

I've stayed away from politics, but I'll remain quiet no more. I don't really want to debate the fundamental issues, not because they're not important, but because it's kind of a rathole and I really don't want this blog to become so political.

That said, Bush scares me. I cannot fathom how one can watch the debate and honestly say to themselves that Bush is better fit to run this country. Kerry was straightforward, poised, confident, articulate, and most importantly, knowledgeable. Bush had a simple answer for every single question - it's good at times to be simple, but the problem is that it was the same simple answer to every question. The issues we're discussing are not that trivial, though. There's room for growth and thought and nuance and intelligence and diplomacy and strength. And maybe that's not what the United States want to see, but that really frightens me. Anyone who believes that never changing your position is the equivalent of being strong is not a true leader.

And I guess that's the point. That's why I care so much. I don't want our country to be this simple-minded. I want to think that Americans are sincere and strong and can adapt and respond and keep America's best interest at heart while also solving some tremendous problems. I want our President to be better than me. I want him to be more thoughtful. I want him to be aware of what's going on in the world. I want him to admit failure and adjust and rebound. I want him to do things, instead of just say he's doing things.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who votes for Bush is simplistic or narrow-minded or stupid - that's not the case. There's room for debate about the issues, and I of course think that a reasonable person can come to the conclusion that Bush is better, but I also don't think this election is being decided by those reasonable people. It's being decided by the 76% of people without a college education, looking at the two men and the past four years and choosing the cowboy over the Senator. The man who says he's a leader because he never changes his position. That's not strength, not holding him accountable for his failures is not justice, and I worry about living in a country in which the majority of the people either don't know the difference, or just don't care that there is one.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?