<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 22, 2004

Vertigo Away 

Hello, hello. Can you...PLEASE STOP SINGING THIS GODFORSAKEN SONG! I can FEEEEEEEL...my brain swelling.

Hey, I like U2. What's not to like? They're definitely one of the greatest bands in the last 20 years. They have some fantastic songs. But they have got to stop pushing "Vertigo" down our throats.

It's ubiquitous. You can't escape the song. And it's not that bad a song - it's catchy, if quite silly, but I didn't have any objection to it after a few listens. But that's the key - a FEW listens. Although the "uno, dos, tres, catorce" part would be funny if it seemed that Bono actually had a sense of humor.

I'll admit that I've been known to listen to a song to death. I find songs I like, put them on a mix CD or playlist, and repeat it over and over again until I can hear the next song starting in my head after a given song ends. After a while, I get annoyed with the songs and make a new mix. But I wasn't even given the chance to play Vertigo to death - it was done for me, before I ever had a chance to buy the CD, or download the song.

Clearly, U2 is trying to compensate for something. I wonder if the strategy is bordering on brainwashing - if people hear a song often enough, they do start to like it. But I would hope a band wouldn't have to resort to such trickery.

First of all, there's the iPod ad, which I've seen at least 10 million times. (I stopped counting at 2 million, but I think that's accurate.) Of course it's the only iPod ad in which you can actually see the person singing - we wouldn't want our dear Bono to be underexposed. And just in case you couldn't get enough, you can buy a limited edition iPod that has the new album on it.

I was watching football tonight, and they played a Vertigo montage at halftime. They were on Saturday Night Live this past weekend, and of course played that first. (And man, is that show horrible once again. They have no one.) The song's on every single radio station. I think Eric Gagne's going to start playing it when he comes in to close games. I swear there are helicopters that fly overhead during the day and blare it from loudspeakers.

It's time to stop being corporate whores, guys. You're talented and popular and I'm certain you're richer than the guy who created SpongeBob. I don't think I'm going to buy the new album, just because hearing the song again might send me into a psychotic rage. And just in case, I'm never going to watch the Hitchcock movie again - it wouldn't surprise me if they "remastered it" so the song now plays over the credits.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?