<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 16, 2004

A Fan of the Classics 

Ah, the good old days. Remember back, when you were just a teenager? When music was played on CDs or even tapes? I know it may be hard to remember that bygone era, but if you lift the haze of nostalgia, you can almost make out a scene in your mind...

Cars without airbags. No one had the internet or even knew what it was. The President was too busy lying to his wife to lie to the rest of the country. Carrot Top was flourishing. Reality TV was limited to "The Real World", not the vicious parasite that now engulfs all other programming. And for ridiculous melodramatic teeny-bopper shows, we hadn't yet been welcome to the O.C. (bitch), as we were too busy running around Beverly Hills, 90210.

And, good old classic rock was playing on the radio. You know, classics like "Mr. Jones", by the Counting Crows. What's that you say? The Counting Crows are not classic rock? Why, I beg your pardon! I just heard them playing on a classic rock station last night. They must be classic rock. Or, I'm going insane.

I think it's the latter, actually. "Mr. Jones" was released in 1993. JUST ELEVEN YEARS AGO! It CAN'T be classic rock! I don't think something becomes classic after ten years. You know, on this particular radio station, I've heard them play some current stuff. Once in a while, they'll play 80s rock, like Def Leppard and Guns N' Roses. I can kind of cut them some slack there - it's at least 2 decades ago. (And we all know that music can easily be grouped into decades.) Sometimes, I'll hear them play something like "Love In An Elevator", by Aerosmith, which was also released in the 90s. But I can also cut them some slack there, because even if that song isn't classic rock, Aerosmith is a classic rock band, and it makes sense that fans of their 70s stuff might be interested in what they're doing now. Same with the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley. What, Elvis isn't still alive? Well, he's just as alive as Keith Richards is.

But Adam freaking Duritz is not a classic rocker. The Counting Crows are not classic! Even if you really really really like them, you can't make that argument. They only have like 4 albums! Maybe if Adam Duritz had dated someone like Pat Benetar, you could make that argument. It would be creepy, but you could make the argument. Instead, he has dated Courteney Cox. She married David Arquette! Nothing associated with David Arquette should come anywhere near "classic". No, not even the movie "Eight-Legged Freaks".
Comments:
I don't really care about the main point of this post, because I don't know the song "Mr. Jones" by name. I'm just writing because I wanted to add a few things that I remember from the good old days, in no particular order: Choplifter on a 1983 Apple (complete with Amber monitor), The Smurfs, He-Man (really, what kind of name is that???), GI-JOE, The Gummy Bears, Ferris Beuler's Day Off, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Wolfenstein and Doom.
 
My new favorite game is "guess the anonamous commentor on dave's blog". I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and guess the first comment is from Shear. Let Sherlock unveil his method of deduction:

1. References several old computer games that only a few of the commentors reading this blod had access to. It's a known fact that Shear had access to these games.

2. Doens't know the song "Mr. Jones". This is the dead give away. Though the comment is written well and clearly comes from an insightful individual, we can easily see the lack of pop-culture musical knowledge that has defined Mr. Shear's high school years many times before.
 
Indeed, this is usually an amusing game, but the problem is that only like 5 people read this thing. It was much more exciting when I didn't know that you, Dan, asked about my GameCube games. But now, basically, the posters can be Shear, Dan, Lauren, Kevin, or Sam, and maybe Laurel or Dave Wall once in a great while.

But, yeah, there are like 3 people in the world who don't know "Mr. Jones", so that narrows things down a bit.

Also, it's not tough to sign a name to a post, much like one might do in an email...
 
Okay, I'll cut the suspense - it was me who made said post. Dan had "Mr. Jones" on his computer and played it for me this weekend - like I suspected, I recognized the song, new the words and the theme, just not the name.

As for signing my name, I generally do that...I just forgot in this case.

And for this record, the format of this blog hosting site sucks. Reading the blog entries, the comments don't show up, so I have to click on "Comments". Then to post a comment myself, I have to click again on "Post a comment". Then instead of allowing me to post, it directs me to sign in or post anonymously, and I have to click once more. Finally, I get to where I can comment, but only the original blog entry is displayed for me, not the comments that I wish to refer to.

How hard can it be to make a blog site that is easy to use? I mean, really, if that's your job in life, what's the big problem with having a little common sense?

~Shear
 
Oh, and then when you're done commenting, it takes you back to the page that has that specific blog entry and comments, but doesn't provide a link to get back to the main page, so you have to press the back button 497 times to get back there.

-Shear
 
Agreed. I hate the way comments are formatted here. So I appreciate the added effort on the part of you who do comment. You are true friends and patriots.
 
So why don't you switch your blog to a different site that's more user friendly?
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?