<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Over-engineering 

Why do most bathrooms have little optical sensors now on the urinals, toilets, and sinks? I really can't figure it out. They have to be more expensive than the little handles. They require batteries, which need replacing and are expensive. At work, some of the urinals' sensors run out of batteries and they go "bleep bleep" for days until the batteries are replaced. The sensors never work properly, so the toilets may flush multiple times as you approach, wasting water. And then, after you're done, sometimes they don't flush. Now, maybe of them have buttons to allow you to flush them manually, but more people don't know where they are because they're usually quite tiny. Maybe they're more sanitary, because you don't have to touch the handle. (On a long, but interesting side note: I learned from an online chat transcript with Washington Post columnist Gene Weingarten that apparently, most women use their feet to flush public toilets. I never knew this. It's quite intriguing, especially because the only way for it to be discovered that most men use their hands and most women use their feet is for the topic to be mentioned between a man and a women, which can't be all that common.) At any rate, I'm willing to bet that because the sensors are so poor, a ton of water is wasted. Maybe it's worthwhile to not touch the handle (personally, I don't think it matters - most people are going to immediately go and wash their hands, regardless), but there's gotta be a better way.

Comments:
I would bet that the automatic sensors on toilets are far more sanitary, and that the ones on faucets save a lot of water by not staying on when you are lathering/scrubbing your hands. I think that the idea of "most people are going to immediately go and wash their hands" is way off - I bet fewer than 50% do that, maybe closer to 25%. I'd also bet that fewer than 50% of the men flush the urinals when they're done, precisely because they don't want to touch them, so having them flush automatically prevents large quantities of urine from just sitting around bathrooms trying hard to spread serious diseases. I'm not positive, but I'd bet a lot of your money that the health and disease control issues are the only significant reason such things are around, and furthermore I'd bet they are very effective in dealing with those issues.

I don't think it's a coincidence that health problems in NY City like tuberculosis were far worse 100 year ago when, as I've read, 60,000 gallons of horse urine were deposited daily on the dusty streets in the years before the car became widespread.

And it doesn't surprise me that you're not too concerned about these health issues, seeing as how you weren't concerned that there were rats living in the basement of the new Sigma Nu house (28 Fenway) for a few months...

-Dave Shear
 
Hmmm.....so, why not just go back to foot pedals? Wouldn't that solve all the problems? Because I think the amount of water wasted is not insignificant. And, on a global hygiene scale, if you take the couple of gallons that are wasted per flush and distribute them to all of the countries that don't have clean drinking water, you'd probably fix a lot of health problems. But maybe we should think a bit smaller, in which case I'm willing to be that the hygiene problems of 100 years ago aren't quite as relevant, given that I've seen the proliferation of auto-flushes just in the last 5-10 years. What about a toilet that just auto-flushed every 30 minutes, and had a manual flush as well? That would solve the problem of latent waste sitting around, without wasting nearly as much water. As for sensors on the faucets, you're probably right about them conserving water there, although they do drive me crazy. Honestly, I just wished the sensors work better, and I'm willing to be that a small monetary investment in better sensors would save a lot of money on water in the long run.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?