<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, July 29, 2005

Fine, fine 

After legions of my fans have been clamoring for my return to blogging, I am returning reluctantly. Well, ok, only one person posted a comment, but still, that's like 25% of my audience. At any rate, my absence has not been due to a lack of desire to expound upon random crap - I figure that urge is not going to subside any time soon. Once a blowhard, always a blowhard, they say. Well, someone should say. But at any rate, for the past month, I've been spending most of my free time unpacking.

Unpacking? Yes, unpacking. We moved all of our boxes and stuff over from our old house at the end of July, and that process wasn't too painful. But the unpacking has been incredibly time consuming. There's something liberating about not having many options. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. If you don't have many choices, it's pretty easy to decide what to do. But with a new house, the sky's the limit. Not only can any object go in a multitude of places, but any room can be used for almost any purpose. So we have to decide what each room will be, what it'll look like, what will go where, etc. We need to decide what to buy, what to keep, what to renovate, and, well, it's not easy to make those choices. Plus, buying stuff is kind of expensive.

You might say that we don't need to make all of those decisions at once, and you're right. But the fact of the matter is that you really only get to start from scratch once. If you buy a big, nice piece of furniture, and then later during unpacking you discover that it's not big enough, or it doesn't look right, you can't really return it. Furthermore, if you decide that one closet is going to be, say, your linen closet, and then a month later you find a few extra towels that mean the closet's not big enough, I think we both know that it's pretty unlikely we're going to move the entire contents of that closet to another closet, which also will most likely need to be emptied.

So, we're trying to be meticulous, and resourceful. But that takes time. We decide how we want a room to look, what we need there, and then we go out and buy what's necessary. Sometimes we need to do research. Sometimes we need to order something from the internet, or go out and buy it, and comparison shopping takes time as well. But we're making progress. Our house is shaping up well, and it's been worthwhile. I'm sorry you, my dear readers, have had to make such sacrifices, like going for 25 days without a post from me. I assure you, it won't happen again...unless we move...which damn well better not happen for a long, long time.

Also, as a side note, moving has resulted in me having quite a lot of stories, mostly about poor customer service, which I will be sure to share with you in coming posts.
Comments:
Clamor clamor clamor

More posts! :)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?